Founders from the Rise of the Rest portfolio (ROTR) descended on Washington DC to network, learn from each other, and take advantage of top-notch programming from the ROTR team.
Prior to the official kick-off of the summit, we welcomed Founders from across the country for a bit of pre-networking with other DC Tech leaders. We were happy to facilitate good discussions on a wide number of topics including scaling up.
Top 3 themes we heard from ROTR Founders about scaling
- Attract kindred spirits to join the team but not people just like you. Getting the right people to help you take on the world is important. Not everyone has the stomach for scaling a business. You need to make sure you are bringing together a diverse group of people with complementary and additive talents. Not everyone will remain on the adventure with you, but it’s important to take a chance on raw talent as well as seasoned operators who embrace the vision.
- Lay the proper technical foundation. Whether it’s a CRM, marketing automation, Applicant Tracking System (ATS), billing automation, or General Ledger, try to think a few years out (balancing ability to invest and use appropriately)
- Does our go-to-market (GTM) strategy involve phases where the business model evolves? Will my systems handle the change?
- Are the people I’m hiring able to effectively use the technologies we’re adopting?
- Will these technologies provide me line-of-sight into my business with on-demand reporting (SQLs, ARR, Employee retention, etc)?